UFC megastar the Notorious Conor McGregor has relinquished his 145 pound UFC featherweight title, which he won in November 2015, according to the organization; however, many sources claim that he was stripped of the belt as he has no plans to defend it in the near future.
McGregor won the featherweight title with a spectacular one punch knockout against Jose Aldo but has since changed weight classes and never defended the title at 145 pounds.
The Notorious still holds the UFC lightweight belt which he won by beating Eddie Alvarez – making him the first man to hold two title belts at the same time.
- What is the meaning of the word ‘spectacular’ which is used in the text?
- What is the meaning of the word ‘relinquished’ as used in the text? What part of speech is this?
- What is a word we can use to describe someone who has done something for the first time, as McGregor has by winning two belts?
- The text says this story is according to the ‘organization’. What does this mean? Think of some synonyms?
- Are you a fan of the UFC? What makes it so appealing to many?
- Does you country have any mixed martial arts stars? Who are they?
- Have you heard of Conor McGregor before? For those who know him, which adjectives would you use to describe him?
- Many people claim McGregor is a bad champion for not defending his belt, do you agree with this? Justify your answer.
- McGregor is from Dublin, Ireland. What other famous sports people come from that country?
- Would you ever fight in a cage for money like these athletes do?
Do you think cage fighting is morally right?
Have you ever seen women compete in the UFC? How does this make you feel?
Conor McGregor has purportedly made 100 million USD in his UFC career. What would you do with this type of money?
If an athlete kills another in the cage, should he or she be prosecuted? Why or why not?
Would you fight Conor McGregor for $1,000,000?
Research and debate:
In pairs (or small groups), research the question below and present your findings to the class. Use examples of events which have happened to explain your opinions.
- Boxing or UFC – which is more dangerous?